Office of Accessibility Resources & Services

provide. coordinate. advocate.

FAQ for Students

Will disclosing my disability become part of my permanent records/transcript?

All documentation submitted to the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services (OARS) will remain in the office, separate from a student’s academic record.

Do I need to register with your office more than once?

A student only needs to register with OARS once. However, if a request for alternate accommodations is made, then additional documentation may be requested to support the request. Under the Federal Education and Rights to Privacy Act (FERPA) institutions are only required to keep academic records for five years. If students are returning to UNCG after an extended absence, OARS may ask that they provide current documentation outlining their functional limitations.

Do I have to disclose my disability to my instructors?

If a student is expecting a classroom accommodation, then they are responsible for telling their instructors they have a disability and providing them with an OARS accommodation letter from the OARS office. Details specific to the disability do not have to be disclosed. OARS counselors work closely with students to assist them with the self-disclosure process.

Will others treat me differently if they know that I have a disability?

All students at UNC-Greensboro have the right to be treated fairly. Students who feel they have been treated unfairly should immediately report their concerns to the staff in OARS.

What steps can I take if I feel that I have been treated unfairly, discriminated against or not provided my requested accommodations based upon my disability?

The first step a student should take is to contact OARS. Additional procedures are outlined in our Policies and Procedures.

Is my 504 Plan or IEP enough documentation to get accommodations?

504 plans and individualized educational plans are not sufficient documentation for higher education. For more information about the necessary documentation, please review our Documentation Guidelines.

What do I do if I have a temporary disability such as a broken arm or leg?

Students with a temporary disability may be temporarily served by OARS staff. Accommodations will be provided based on the needs outlined in the documentation the student provides. Please note that the University does not offer transportation or special parking services to students.

Why does your office need documentation?

We need documentation in order to provide individualized accommodations based on a student’s functional limitations associated with their disability. Without this documentation, we will not be able to determine the necessary accommodations to assist students.

Where can I get testing if I suspect that I have a disability?

Students can get tested anywhere as long as the appropriate licensed professional is conducting the testing. There are two UNCG clinics that can conduct testing for various disabilities for a fee.

The PSYCHOLOGY CLINIC is located in the Department of Psychology, 1100 West Market Street, Greensboro, NC 27403. They can be reached at (336) 334-5662. Call for an appointment which is on a first come-first served basis. Diagnostic procedures are available for learning disabilities and other psychological disorders.

The SPEECH AND HEARING CENTER is located in the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders, 300 Ferguson Building on the campus of UNCG. They can be reached at (336) 334-5939. Services included hearing evaluations, central auditory processing evaluations, hearing aids, aural rehabilitation, electronystagmography, and electrophysiology.

How do I get copies of my documentation?

Once documentation is submitted to our office, it becomes part of our permanent records. We are unable to make copies of documentation once it has been submitted to our office; however, we can forward the documentation to an authorized party (ex. another university) if a student signs a release form permitting us to do so. We suggest that students make copies of their documentation for their own personal records prior to submitting them to OARS.

What help can I get regarding professional and graduate school testing (ex. GRE, LSAT, GMAT)?

Each standardized test requires different documentation for accommodations. Students should review the appropriate websites for specific requirements and speak with an OARS staff member after reviewing these requirements. Please note that documentation required to register with OARS may be distinctly different than the documentation that is required by the testing organization.